Saturday, November 1, 2014

Week 4 DTS

The Week 4 topic was Biblical Worldview and we were challenged (more like required) to write as if we were talking to complete strangers on the street corner. So that is the context of the that week's sermon...

How can God love me?

This question has swirled around in my mind. At one point the answer may have been, because I am a pretty good person. While at others I felt as if there was no way for Him to care about, not to mention love, me. So how could God love me? God is perfect. I am not. God is holy. I am not. How can holiness and my wrongs or “sins” be together? How can His perfection and light be with my sin and darkness? One simple word can put me in the wrong. One gust of wind, one wrong breath and I have set the arrow so far off target that I have missed the mark, sin. One lustful glance is the same as adultery. One harsh and shame filled one has set my destiny. Not because God is cruel but because Light simply cannot tolerate darkness. I deserve punishment, death. So is that the answer to how God can love me? He can’t? It could have been, but God has so much love. He has so much compassion. He came to earth, He lived a life that was completely void of sin. People were healed by Him. He was perfect. Then people got angry, officials said it was too good to be real, and the Jewish leaders didn’t want Him to shift society. They took Him before a court and forced a death penalty. He was nailed to a cross. Without fault, blemish, or wrong He was killed as the worst of criminals. So God tried, He tried to love me. But being God that was not the end! Death could not contain Jesus. The Grave could not hold Him down. My Jesus rose from the dead. He is alive and seated as God in Heaven. His perfect life and power over death made a way for me to washed of the stains of sin. He made my darkness into light. My life is no longer my own. Galatians 2:20 puts it this way, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

Knowing that God loves me changes my life. It transforms so much. I have faith and Christ takes my faith and makes me right with God. But in return, how can I love God? How can someone like me love Him? My life is so broken, but Christ is the Redeemer. In my life I have gone from depression to love simply because Christ has bought me from death with His own life. I can now walk being filled with love, joy, peace, kindness, and so much more. Not on my own account but because of how much God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment