Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 3 at DTS

The topic was "Being a Godly Rebel". This may not seem directly related to that thought but it was one topic that the speaker touched on.

Philippians 2:5-7 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant

This is my Jesus.
He is One that walks in humility. He walks in servant-hood.

How can I think of myself as more? He is God but never used His equality with God to attain status or held it over others.

John 13:3-5 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

He humbled Himself so low as to wash the feet of those He led. What is leadership then without servantship? If the Creator humbled Himself to serve, then how can I see myself as “above” anything? I am not above cleaning. I am not above serving. I am not above siblings or others. I am equal but must not see equality as a cop out. Rather, I must bring myself to a place of humility.



C. S. Lewis defines humility in this way, “True humility isn’t thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less”. You are God’s precious creation. Nothing can take away from that fact. Never let humility drive you to self-hatred or loathing. He is the God Who finds pleasure in service and we should learn to be likewise. Our purpose is not to “be good”, “do good”, or even strain to be either of those. Our purpose is to glorify the Father, to worship Him forever. The more I learn about Him, the more I praise Him, the more I long to walk in His ways and to follow after what He desires and has for me.

Paul, many times in Scripture, refers to Himself as “chief sinner” or the “least”. He understood humility. He didn’t say that he was the least so he wasn’t fit for ministry. He never said that being the least held him back from living for Christ in any way. His view of himself, rather, spurred him on in ministry. He was eager to serve his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. He served whole-heartedly.

The Lord is looking for those whose lives are laid out before Him. Lives of ones who will follow His example of servanthood. My life’s desire is to be found humbled and waiting. My life’s cry is, “here I am, use me”!

No comments:

Post a Comment