Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 2 at DTS

Week 2 Topic- Recognizing God's Voice

This week the Lord really revealed many lies about life, myself, others, etc. that I had believed. This was the sermon that I wrote...

One of the hardest things for me when it comes to recognizing God’s voice, is pushing out the lies. The lies about who I am, the lies about Who God is, and the lies about His desire for me. My flesh wants God to be only mildly close. My flesh wants Him to only kind of love me. Because that is what I know, that is what I accept, that is what makes me most comfortable because that only requires the same from me.

I was asked not that long ago to really examine what labels are on me. Who does my family think I am? Who do my friends think I am? Who do I think I am? And the lies flooded. Your friends don’t went you around, they don’t want to be with you. You annoy your family, they don’t want to talk to/spend time with you. You don’t have worth. You don’t really matter.

What? Is that who I am? Does God think of me that way too? If I don’t think of myself as worthwhile then how could He?

Then I was asked, who does God say that you are? um…

And I prayed, and I listened, and after all those other things ran through my mind I heard.

You are My Daughter of worth.
You are Beautiful out of ash.
You are a powerful Overcomer.

But I’m still struggling! I give you power.
But what about what other people have told me. You are Beautiful.
But I thought I was worthless. Oh, My beautiful Daughter of worth.

Is this really how you see me God? I can’t even come to believe it. How do I know that this is how You actually see me? What about all those other things?

John 8:44- [The devil] does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

BUT

Psalm 103:12- as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.

Colossians 1:13-14- For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

My story is a story of redemption. I am not one caught in the middle. I am not one of indifference. I am not caught somewhere between sin and worth. I am all that He says I am. I am ALL that He says that I am. And when it comes to listening for His voice, listen for the one that pushes back the lies. Because when He speaks, mountains crumble, seas give way, and my callous heart melts all over again. His every word is truth. He never speaks a lie. He never brings shame. He convicts of wrongs, but He never brings guilt. His voice calls me to greater things rather than condemning me for the times that I fall short. He is guiding along a path of learning to trust, in Him and in His voice. The voice that speaks truth and the voice that speaks life. My chain falls off at the touch of His hand and the breath from His lungs. My God is the God of redemption and life and His words affirm His identity and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment